Monday, April 21, 2014

Coffee with Ogden, frugal man of the people


    I recently visited with my friend Ogden Botts at a local coffeehouse. Our visit started with small talk about the winter weather, but quickly turned to politics, typical fodder for any chat with Ogden.

    Ogden talked about Illinois Governor Pat Quinn, a Democrat, and his Republican opponent Bruce Rauner.

    “What a sad pair of candidates,” Ogden said. “A Democrat incumbent who thinks he’s governing under the same conditions that existed in the late 1980s and a millionaire who has never held a public office before, but has given money to Democrats and Republicans. What did we do to deserve this?”

    The negative tone of Ogden’s comment surprised me. A retired businessman, Ogden is usually optimistic in his outlook and opinions.

    “You’re a Republican,” I said. “I know you don’t agree with Quinn. He’s a Democrat, but how can you talk this way about your party’s candidate?”

    Ogden shook his head and chuckled a moment — actually, it was more a menacing laugh — but then he abruptly went silent.

    “I’m a conservative, not a Republican,” Ogden growled. “There’s a big difference, particularly here in Illinois.”

    I thanked him for the clarification, but noted he once told me he rarely, if ever, voted for Democrats.

    “Oh, I frequently vote for Republican candidates so I can see how you would assume I am Republican,” he said. “But I am not a member of the Republican Party, and I never identify myself as a Republican.

    “Of course, I would never call myself a Democrat, particularly now. That party cares about everything but the public checkbook and how to handle it responsibly,” Ogden said.

    “Hell, no. I am neither a Democrat or a Republican,” Ogden declared.

    “OK,” I said to him. “You’re an independent voter, right?” 

    Ogden shook his head, but there was no menacing laugh this time.

    “I’m beyond all those labels, and I think I am in good company,” he said. “I think there is a growing number of voters who are just fed up with party labels and the mismanagement that exists at all levels of government.”

    He paused, looked around the room and then started talking again, but at a slower pace.

    “You see, many voters, people just like you and me, realize we can’t continue to allow government to keep growing the way that it is, and we can’t allow this reckless, irresponsible spending to continue,” he said.

    “We need to drop the partisanship. We need to elect individuals who embrace living frugal,” he said.

    “That’s it,” I said. “You are a frugal voter, and you’re in search of a frugal party.”

    Ogden smiled. He sat back in his chair, took a long sip of his coffee, and looked at the ceiling for a long moment.

    “You are correct,” he said.

    “I am a frugal voter, and I intend now to set out to organize and activate other frugal voters,” Ogden said. “Are you with me?” 

    It was then my turn to take a long sip of coffee and look at the ceiling.

— Email comments, questions, and complaints to kbotteman@gmail.com. Fox Valley Notes is available at Twitter and Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment