Monday, January 18, 2016

Still plenty to do in a busy January



I like to think I manage time well, but I am always surprised (and a little intimidated) by how fast time passes. I looked at my calendar this afternoon and realized the first month of new year is more than half gone and running down quickly. I've jotted down a few items on scraps of paper and wanted to share them with you.

Library program to feature Wright Brothers Jan. 21
The Books Between Bites program at the Batavia Public Library will host a presentation about “The Wright Brothers,” David McCullough’s account of the Wright Brothers journey to Kitty Hawk. Barbara Kalina, a former history and literature teacher with the Batavia school district will lead the presentation and discussion from noon to 1 p.m. Jan. 21 at the library, 10 S. Batavia Ave. For more information, call the library at 630-879-1393. 




Music boosters to host pancake breakfast
The Marmion-Rosary Music Boosters will host their annual pancake breakfast from 8:30 to
1 p.m. July 24 at Marmion Academy’s Lux Dining Hall. The event will include musical entertainment. Tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for children ages 3 to 12. The breakfast will include unlimited pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns and beverages. For more information, call 630-897-6936.



Geneva school district unveils new website
Geneva School District 304 officials recently unveiled the district's new website, featuring a crisp and bright look. I still enjoy visiting websites just to see the type of design and presentation techniques organizations employ to tell their stories. I think the school district did a fine job with their redesign effort, but visit the site and decide for yourself.

Slow down and enjoy better health
One of the best ways to improve overall health and peace of mind is to slow down, according to a recent report from our friends at AARP. The report offers some simple steps to follow in the new year. One of my favorites is the suggestion to slow life’s busy pace with writing. It seems making time to sit down and write (either with pen or keyboard) offers many benefits, including an easing in our need for speed. I added “write more” to my new year’s resolution list, and I hope the health benefits alone will be motivation enough to make writing more a resolution I can keep throughout the year.


Extension offers valuable tips
I always enjoy reading the University of Illinois Extension's blog posts and reports. The extension's staff covers everything from agriculture and gardening to nutrition and consumer tips. I particularly enjoy the gardening advice and enjoy thinking about gardening activities during January's bitter-cold days. Planning for springtime tasks helps to keep me going when daytime high temperatures are in the single digits.
 

Movin’ On
Sending out some tardy congratulations to Ryan Klassy, who recently ended a good run as information director at the Kane County Farm Bureau to take on a new job at a local community college. I met Ryan about eight years ago while I was working for the Chicago Tribune and always enjoyed coordinating the Tribune’s coverage of the farm bureau’s activities. I also enjoyed reading Ryan’s columns in the farm bureau’s monthly publication. Best wishes in the new gig, Ryan.



— Share news and photos about your organization or business here. Email information and photos to kbotterman@gmail.com.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment