Sunday, October 9, 2011

Milestone Birthdays for Dad and Daughter

My daughter and I celebrate our birthdays two days apart, and this year we mark each mark a milestone birthday — I marked my 50th birthday this year and Megan celebrated her Sweet 16 today. 


That's us, above,  at Soldier Field in Chicago, in September, when NIU played Wisconsin. It was a wonderful day, a lot of fun, even though Wisconsin really hammered NIU.


I have always considered it a true blessing that God shared a daughter with me, and I have always considered Megan a special angel. I bet most fathers would say something similar about their daughters. 


Megan and I share a birthday week together, and over the years that has become an extra special bond for us. As I celebrated my 50th birthday, I realized that I had developed a profound appreciation for the simple details in life during the last year. I am sincerely grateful that God has blessed me with 50 years of life and pray that he will allow me to enjoy many more years here.


Megan hasn't told me yet what this 16th birthday has meant to her. She's had such fun this weekend that I wonder if she's had much opportunity to reflect on the event. I hope she is able to give some thought to it today, and I pray that in that moment she has feels a sense of how much she is loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment