Thursday, August 2, 2012

Newspaper looks at development on the Fox River

The Hotel Baker in downtown St. Chalres overlooks the Fox River.
Sandy Bressner photo
• The Kane County Chronicle recently published a two-part series about development on along the Fox River. The first part looked at the early history of the Fox River and the second part reported on what's in the future for the area. I enjoy reading about all types of history, so I found the first installment most interesting, but I liked reading both parts and encourage others to give it a tumble.


Joe Grace 
• I received several emails after writing here about Sue Sullivan's blog. Each correspondent stated they enjoyed Sue's blog and asked me if there are other blogs I frequently read. I enjoy reading a variety of blogs each week. One that I read regularly is Joe Grace's Going For Gusto, which is featured at Chicago Now, a Chicago Tribune product. In the spirit of full disclosure, I should note that Joe and I worked at the same newspaper several years ago and I consider him a friend. Joe started writing columns during his high school days and has plenty of experience at it. I think that is reflected in his ability to write about a range of topics. Spend some time with Joe's blog, and let me know what you think of his contributions. I will write about some of my other favorite blogs in future posts.


• I also encourage readers to pick up a copy of "In Country: Remembering the Vietnam War." The book was published in 2011 and offers a collection of first-hand testimonies from veterans of the war and is edited by John Prados, an author of several books about Vietnam. The veterans provide readers with a sense of what life was like on the ground and in the air during the war. Readers who are familiar with the war's history will find the book valuable. Readers new to the subject will appreciate Prados' explanation of military acronyms and background history he offers to introduce many of the excerpts. And all readers will find Prado's bibliography a useful resource for further reading. 


Chicken Piccata at Stockholm's.
Kane County Chronicle photo
• While I am sharing recommendations, let me share one from the Mystery Diner, a writer at the Kane Chronicle who reviews local restaurants. The Mystery Diner recently visited Stockholm's in downtown Geneva and gave it a nice review. In addition to fine food, the eatery offers several microbrews. I always enjoy a visit to Stockholm's, particularly during the late fall and winter. If you've been there, you know exactly what I mean. If you haven't visited Stockholm's, make sure you stop in for a meal.




—Share news and photos about your organization or business here. Email information and photos to kbotterman@gmail.com. Please include caption information with each submitted photo.









No comments:

Post a Comment